Friday, October 9, 2009

Spirited

It's been a crazy week, as homecoming/spirit week always is. Monday started off with impromptu chants of "Toga, toga, toga..." on White Out day, and everything got crazier from there. Wednesday was Decade Day; I had been waiting to wear my 80s dress for four years. (It's kind of unfortunate that everyone thinks 80s=Flashdance though, because nobody dressed like that.) Anyway, it's pretty much been a full week of not paying attention in class due to the weird energy that homecoming week brings.

I'm not going to the game (our team never wins and it's always so cold out!) or the dance, but I have really enjoyed this week. It's an opportunity to dress up; I'm wearing red tights, black flats with white polka dots, and a beaded beret right now (school colors are red and black), and I'm loving it. The pep rally is this afternoon, and though I'm not a huge "OMG SCHOOL SPIRIT WOO SENIORS" kind of person, it's always fun to watch the dance-off, the pie toss, and the football team's cheer/poms routine.

I'm also seriously looking forward to the homecoming court. One of the senior boys is gay, and decided to wear a dress, makeup, and hair extensions for today and tomorrow. A lot of people are really angry, but we voted him in, and I'm so proud of the senior class for doing that. Not too many people have the guts to be who they truly want to be in high school, especially when what they are is gay, and I really admire him for that.

An added bonus: classes are shortened from 47 minutes to 38 (apparently we can't do round numbers?), so I'm off to AP English already!

No comments: