Friday, October 2, 2009

Irony, Among Other Things

The senior class's votes for the "most likelies" were counted today, and I apparently was voted "Female Next Bill Gates"? I'm a bit confused by this. I'm not particularly good with money, and I'm not really popular. Also, I'm (possibly notoriously) not a huge fan of capitalism, which is what made me find this to be so hilarious. I've come to terms with it, though, due mostly to the fact that Bill Gates is a really awesome philanthropist. I'm probably thinking into this too much...

Anyway, school is going really well. I'm loving my English class, though the teacher is "spoon feeding" symbols and themes to us in every story we read. We're in an introduction/short story unit right now, so I'll accept it; I know not everyone is as up to speed on their literary terms as I am. We read "Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway earlier in the week and I really enjoyed it. Hemingway doesn't get flowery with things; rather than going on for pages about a character's emotions, he will just say "She smiled brightly at the woman." and let the reader actually think about the meaning. It's really refreshing. We also read "Rape Fantasies" by Margaret Atwood, which is actually a hilarious story that's barely even about rape. It explores the balance of reality/fantasy, men/women, and sex/rape. It was really good.

I also got asked to be on the school newspaper. There are only four or five people on it (for now) and we're going to do it online. I'll be sure to post a link!

This is the contact print for my first photography project. (There was water on the glass; the negatives aren't actually that scratched up.) I'm really excited to work with these in the darkroom. I love medium format film.

That's all for now. I wish I could blog more, but school is kind of a priority, and college apps are driving me crazy...

No comments: