Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Further Geeking Out

Here's the verdict: Harry Potter was amazing. But Tuesday was great even before that...

My best friend flew in from Houston yesterday! She's a military child, so she moves around quite a bit, but she actually spent 4 years here before heading back to Texas. It was so fantastic to see her again. Three of her friends (plus my mom) went to the airport and picked her up, and we went to my house and just talked on the porch. Nothing compares to catching up with someone in person, no matter how often you text or talk on Facebook. After a good, long chat and some homemade macaroni and cheese, we headed off to Harry Potter!

First of all, I'm not gonna be all like "people like this, I can't possibly be a fan any more" because I've loved the Harry Potter books since second grade. I'm not a jump-on-the-bandwagon fan and I also don't abandon things when they become cool. Just so you know.

Anyway...we got to the theater at about 8:30 to stand in line. I think they had 6 screens showing Harry potter at midnight. The theater here is crazy; it's called the Marcus Majestic, and it has 2 ultra screens, around 15 regular theaters, another ultra screen called the Palladium that serves full meals, a huge concession stand, a pizza place, a coffee and ice cream shop, a martini bar, a child care center, and valet parking. It's seriously insane. So, the seven of us sat around in line until they opened the doors. We were pretty far back and ended up toward the front, but at least we found seats together. It was such a huge party (I chose not to dress up this time, but there were some pretty great costumes) and everybody in the theater was screaming and singing. One of the theater workers got a megaphone and tried to get the whole theater to sing "Mysterious Ticking Noise", which completely failed. The row in front of us was filled with a lot of drama/choir people from my school (including a kid in a Batman mask) and they sang Bohemian Rhapsody, Build Me Up Buttercup, and a ton of other songs.

Then, the movie! I legitimately liked it. I think it was the first one that I would've been able to enjoy even if I wasn't a fan. There was good action, and enjoyably awkward sexual tension. ;) (Ah, those 16-year-old.) Won-won! I'm not going to spoil the movie, but I'm going to tell you that it was awesome.

This is sort of (but not completely) off-topic, but ModCloth had a list of bad pick-up lines, and there was a Harry Potter one on it. I was bored, so I ended up searching for Harry Potter pick-up lines. Here's a list of the best ones!
  • My name may not be Luna, but I sure know how to Lovegood.
  • If I were to look into the Mirror of Erised, I would see us together.
  • I'm not wearing an invisibility cloak, but do you think I could visit your restricted section tonight?
  • Is that a wand in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
  • Are you using the Confundus Charm, or are you just naturally mind-blowing?
  • I must need Occlumency, because I can't get you out of my thoughts.
  • Did you survive Avada Kedavra? 'Cause you're drop dead gorgeous.
  • I'm like Oliver Wood, baby--I'm a Keeper!
  • I'm like the spine on the Care of Magical Creatures book Hagrid assigned us; stroke my spine and I'll open right up.
  • I might as well be under the Imperius Curse, because I would do anything for you.
I hope you enjoyed that. I did. :)

No comments: