Monday, September 14, 2009

I feel obligated to post.

It's been a few days. I was going to upload stuff from the Rebel today, but I had to choose between bringing it to school or bringing my AP Psych poster to school, and it was a group project so I felt obligated. (It's a family tree, so I made tiny branches and leaves! It's adorable.)

Honestly, though, I just want to get back in the darkroom. Developing one's own film is truly a magic like no other, and knowing I can fix a picture's exposure with some adjustments and a wave of my hand is just amazing. There's something calming about it; the rushing of the water from the big sinks, moving the tray of chemicals back and forth rhythmically, the darkness and quiet. I can't wait to get back in there. I'll have to take my Nikon or Holga out and produce some magic.

I discovered Holga cameras my sophomore year, and I've been in love ever since. Our photography department owns a giant bin of them, and I feel so lucky. If I could, I would only work with medium format film. It's what we use in our studio, too, (yes, we actually have a studio!) and it produces the best enlargements I've ever seen. I'm so blessed to have ended up at a school with this fantastic of an art department. We always make it to state in the Visual Arts Classic competition (the theme is Art and The 70s this year!), our teachers' art is often displayed in galleries/restaurants around the city, and we take a trip to NYC every year to go art museum hopping.

I almost wasn't going to be able to go, but I just found a job! I work at Pick 'n Save, the grocery store refered to as "Pick 'n Slave" by many. It's actually not that bad. I'm a utility clerk, so I bag groceries, push carts, take out garbage, etc. Carts aren't too fun (especially when there are a million high school students using your parking lot for the football game), but bagging isn't that bad. Plus, it's a fantastic people-watching opportunity. I've always said that you can tell a lot about someone by what's in their fridge, and the same goes for what people buy at the grocery store. Ive found that people buy a ton of yogurt and milk, for whatever reason. Strange...

I'm about to run off to English. I'll hopefully be posting my pictures from the Rebel tomorrow or tonight. See you then!

PS-I just went on the VAC website and the artist list is already up! I'm really excited, especially about Andy Warhol, Psychedelic Posters, and TV:
Marilyn Levine, Andy Warhol, Peter Max, Richard Avedon, David Hockney, Andre' Courreges, Bridget Riley, Roy Lichtenstein, George Segal, Minnie Evans, Psychedelic Poster Artists (especially Alton Kelley and Stanley Mouse), and Visual Impact of Television (especially Sesame Street, Electric Company, Schoolhouse Rock, Rowen & Martin's Laugh-In, and The Smothers Brothers Show).

No comments: